Re: [Phys-l] Is something wrong here?????

My original question has been answered. Thank You. It just bugs me to see such blatant errors in public print that I could not let it lie (the mistake was also in the news release that one of the posts sent me to). Perhaps a majority of people have heard of the polar bear or similar jokes and they laugh at them. But no one it seems able to pick out real mistakes in the media. If it is in print, it must be true -- don't even think about it. And, this is an election year. God help us!

Oren

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] on behalf of John Denker [jsd@av8n.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:26 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Is something wrong here?????

On 02/14/2012 11:33 AM, Quist, Oren wrote:

It was announced a few days ago (in our local newspaper) that the
Russians had drilled down and discovered a freshwater lake deep below
the ice surface. The location is approximately 80 miles (or was it
km ??) southeast of the South Pole.

Am I missing something here??

This is about what I expect from the local newspaper, i.e. arrant
nonsense.

1) The Russians did not recently "discover" the lake. It (and others
like it) have been known for at least 50 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Vostok
They only recently got around to drilling down into it.

2) According to Wikipedia, Lake Vostok is about degrees from the south
pole, which corresponds to about 720 nautical miles. You can do
that conversion in your head, since one degree of latitude is 60 nm.
It is not a coincidence that this is a round number.

Wikipedia is not infallible, but the coordinates of Vostok Station
i.e. -78.464422, 106.837328 are confirmed by satellite imagery.
I calculate that point is 1288.280 km north of the south pole.
My calculation takes into account the ellipsoidal shape of the geoid.
I happen to have a good tool for that sort of calculation lying around.

3) Like *everything* else, it is north of the south pole. It is not
south, east, northwest, northeast, or anything else. Just north.