Re: [Phys-l] Traditional Labs and Online Simulations

On 2/10/12, Sean Grealis wrote:
I always view my labs
as a way for students to investigate and explore natural phenomena, and I
fear that the simulations may take away from that experience .Does anyone
else have experience incorporating simulations into traditional lab
experiences?

In first year physics courses at a community college, I have tried
simulations as a part of traditional lab experiences and believe them to be
of value. I also found that students tend to enjoy them. I have used three
types: 1) visually pleasing, video-game-like, ready-made simulations from
PhET (U. of Col.) in an algebra-based course, 2) instructor-developed Excel
based simulations for projectile motion, and 3) student-developed Excel
based simulations to compute, for example, the value of pi (this was
intended to introduce random variable theory, and Monte Carlo simulation
concepts). I believe that simulations should be used as a complementary
part of the total laboratory experience. I spent my full time working
career in the aero-space industry where numerical performance simulations,
at the start of a project (or as part of a proposal), are a must due to the
prohibitive cost and time expenditures required for the (later) hardware
tests. A number of our calculus based physics students are planning to
continue their education at a 4 year engineering school and getting well
versed (and early experience) in how to develop, analyze, interpret, and
report the results of a simulation will increase their chances of success in
their engineering careers.

Most of our algebra-based physics students are not planning on going on in
physics or engineering, so knowing how to develop and use a simulation may
not be as useful as it is for those going into engineering. For them, the
visual appeal and "fun" aspect of the simulation seem to help focus their
attention, so that they reach a better understanding of basic concepts.
They can easily see the effect of complicating factors which would be time
intensive or impractical to demonstrate with a traditional lab (e.g. for
projectile motion: launch angle, launch speed, launch height, drag, fall off
of gravity with distance from the earth, decrease of atmospheric pressure
with distance from the earth, etc.).

So my feeling is that simulations should be a part of the laboratory
experience both for students planning to go on in physics and engineering,
and for students with other career plans. They should not replace
traditional labs, but should be integrated into them as a useful complement.

Don

Dr. Donald Polvani
Adjunct Instructor, Physics
Anne Arundel Community College