Re: [Phys-l] Why ants survive in a micro wave oven. [Obviously "off list"!]

Interesting - this would have been a 'school boy error' at one time, but since they've developed laser techniques to lower the energy of individual molecules I think I have seen references to the temperature of the molecule (perhaps by analogy, but that's how these things can start! We have molecules not that get literally excited, when I guess the first molecules (to be recognised as excited) only got 'excited' metaphorically?).

Of course otherwise we have the interesting issue of how many molecules can collectively have a temperature.

A molecule....no

A mole...certainly

What about a billion? I guess so.

A million? Perhaps.

A thousand. Possibly.

A hundred...

Keith

Can't one determine the vibrational, rotational modes of motion and
relate these to a temperature of sorts?
.