[Phys-l] String Theory and M-theory?

When I was going through graduate school, this was not talked about by anyone. According to the timeline/history of this, it was not close to "mainstream" then.

However, with the proliferation of programs on PBS, etc. about this, I am getting more and more questions from the students about string theory and M-theory.

I have done a literature search and have a few of the seminal papers on this, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a resource that would give a thorough coverage of the topic?

Thanks,
Peter