Re: [Phys-l] FCI report

In fact, there's a definite risk that your course may set him back! (Of course, that's a risk we all share with all of our students...)

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Jack Uretsky
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 1:09 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] FCI report

Tough luck! Ny sympathies. That student will show no benefit from you PER
inspired teaching.
Regards,
Jack

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012, Bill Nettles wrote:

Gave the FCI as a "pre-test" to a 1st semester University Physics
(introductory) class today. Had a freshman physics major get 100% of 30.
Thank you to some HS physics teacher out there. This is the first that I've
seen (I'm in TN).

The rest of the class didn't do so well. Including this score (30), the mean
for 18 students was 13.5 with s=7; without, xbar=12.5, s=6. Only 4 scored
above 20. Eight scored 10 or lower. I hope this indicates ignorance rather
than low ability.

Has anyone developed and researched an introductory physics math inventory?