From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Anthony Lapinski
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:12 PM
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu; tap-l@lists.ncsu.edu
Subject: [Phys-l] radiation

I was wondering if anyone could help with this:

Our science department got this email from a parent at my school:

My daughter is a middle school student. We are considering buying her a violin that was made in Japan in 2011, during the nuclear disaster. For our peace of mind, we would like to have it tested to ensure that it is not contaminated.

Should the parents worry? Could a Geiger counter detect anything?