Re: [Phys-l] Temperature profile in a gravitational field

Well, it has been a spectacle to see so much hand-wringing in attempting
to apply the usual physics models to the mind experiment of a towering
atmospheric insulated cylinder of air with no mixing, no energy flux, no
thermal flux - so no matter how inane my suggestion, I can hardly do worse:

  This is a situation where pressure decreases with height and
temperature decreases with height and entropy varies with height.
There; I said it!    :-)

Brian W