Re: [Phys-l] Temperture profile in a graviational field

Historically you will see this referred to as the Loschmidt Gravito-Thermal effect. Loschmidt argued precisely as you have while Maxwell and Boltzmann argued as John Denker has and as I would as well. As far as I can tell there are respectable people who still consider this an unresolved controversy. You can find plenty of material on the web by searching undder some combination of loschmidt boltzmann maxwell gravity gas etc. One example:

http://bit.ly/ywdmz3

I think it's at least pretty clear that the situation is not as simple as it might seem from your (and Loschmidt's) arguments. The question is not whether individual molecules moving to lower altitudes (without collisions, of course) will have higher kinetic energy, the question is what does the *distribution* of energies look like at different altitudes. It's not particularly hard to imagine that molecules moving to higher altitudes simply take their place as a lower velocity component of the *same* distribution that simply has a lower overall density.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona