Re: [Phys-l] check your work (and kinetic energy)

On 1/7/2012 9:08 PM, curtis osterhoudt wrote:

Presumably, the same "extra-system object" that did work on the car to accelerate it in the first place (i.e. the ground) is doing the work on the object to slow it down. I must admit I thought about it for more than a femtosecond, but how is the ground NOT doing work on the car to slow it down if the brakes are applied?

I'm probably missing something when I say: when the car moves right, the Earth necessarily moves left. Later, with the brakes applied, the car slows to a halt, the Earth moves to the right, and warm air from the disks wafts into the breeze.

Brian W