[Phys-L] Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in a recent post "Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno" [Hake (2012)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In response to "Math Education Research Doesn't Exist? Response to Schremmer" [Hake (2012a) at <http://bit.ly/U7dJi3>, Clyde Greeno at <http://bit.ly/RW0fFF> wrote that his statement that the six principles that, according to "Scientific Research in Education" at <http://bit.ly/VjrQaV>, p. 2: "underlie all scientific inquiry (including educational research)" are "glibly superficial and badly unknowing about the nature of science" was simply an observation that those six principles in no way *suffice* as criteria (i.e., are both necessary and sufficient) for distinguishing scientific from non-scientific educational research.

Greeno wrote "Tragically, much of educational research now can use the NRC report as a basis for so polluting the name of 'scientific educational research' that distinguishing genuine scientific research from the rest will be a very cumbersome task."

I wonder if Greeno would consider assisting the math community in "distinguishing genuine scientific research from the rest" by setting forth his own *necessary and sufficient* conditions for "genuine scientific research"?

BTW, I attempted to address the two crucial questions: (a) "Can Education Research Be 'Scientific'?" and (b) "What's 'Scientific'?" in a 75 kB post "Can Education Research Be 'Scientific'? What's 'Scientific'?" [Hake (2012b)] at <http://bit.ly/Ujaogk> containing over 100 references and over 180 hot-linked URL's, but, as far as I know, no *substantive* responses were forthcoming.

To access the complete 8 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/Qp3H0w>.

Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Academia: <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>
Twitter: <http://bit.ly/juvd52>

REFERENCES [URL shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 07 Nov 2012.]
Hake, R.R. 2012. "Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno" online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/Qp3H0w>. Post of 7 Nov 2012 13:49:33-0800 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/Qp8fnA> with a provision for comments.