Re: [Phys-L] chemistry explosion near Pittsburgh

On 2012, Oct 25, , at 04:31, Anthony Lapinski wrote:

A colleague sent this sad/scary news story to me today:

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/2831483-74/clawson-barnhart-students-chemistry-teacher-experiment-explosion-really-student-derry#axzz2AFX47VG1

Safety first!!

Now the students know how to make a "truck bomb".

This is as bad as my HS teacher fractional distilling gasoline w/ a bunsen burner instead of a "glas col".

I thought at the time it was very foolish, but said nothing. Several years later I read in the Santa Barbara News Press that he had been burned doing same.

bc cowed** by authority figures.

** note the sexist word.

p.s. I also remember (incorrectly?) a similar experiment, but initiated in a heated test tube, at least he used a very small amount of reactants. I very definitely remember one of the by products was water, because I expressed puzzlement, and he then wrote the equation on the board.