Re: [Phys-l] Neutrinos going faster than speed of light?

It's a simple calculation to show that if the mesons are traveling at a relatively paltry 99.9% of the speed of light, they arrive at the end of the 1000 m tunnel 3 ns later than a pulse of light would. The only way this effect could account for the 60 ns discrepancy is if some significant fraction of the mesons were traveling at 0.96 c or less. In any event, because this is clearly central point, I have a strong hunch that the researchers have taken it into account.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona