Re: [Phys-l] The Impact of Concept Inventories On Physics Education and It's Relevance For Engineering Education (Richard Hake)

Jim,

I'm not Dr. Hake and I understand that you are trying to get his opinion but I have taught PLTW for 4 years and physics for 38. Here are my thoughts based on that experience:

PLTW is not a bunch of memorization & survival of the fittest - nor is it IE as Dr. Hake would define it. It is problem-based, students spend 80-90% of their time working on projects individually and in small groups. There are no concept inventories. I've not seen many (any?) engineering or design concept inventories available to use at any level, HS or college.

Since your school offers PLTW, you know PLTW is not a physics course. One course, Principles of Engineering covers many topics seen in physics (energy, projectile motion, torque and statics). I tried to insert things like PHet simulations and Ranking tasks but there is not much room in the required PLTW curriculum. I think PLTW has much to offer, but it needs a little more - I hate to use the word - rigor. I retired before I could add some PER and EER activities I would have liked to use.

PLTW carries much weight and history with it as a nation-wide HS engineering program. I've had more students get college credit for their engineering major from PLTW than did from AP Physics. It is a good starting point. I think it can be improved on and would like to see people create a more IE version. I do not see other well known HS engineering efforts any more IE oriented.

I've seen some effort in engineering education circles to create a body of Engineering Education Research. I have a former colleague working in EER at Ohio State, having gotten her PhD in PER. It would be nice to learn about any engineering and/or design concept inventory efforts.

Bill Reitz
Hoover HS retired
North Canton, OH