Re: [Phys-l] Neutrinos going faster than speed of light?

In a message dated 9/26/2011 11:47:04 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Paul.Nord@valpo.edu writes:

Kamiokande became operational in 1983. That was the first big detector.
It might not have been up and running in time. It was probably not well
calibrated for another year. The conspiracy theorist in me wants to point
out that it seems much too convenient that this new result is just outside of
the range that could be refuted by Kamiokande.

Some people are claiming that the neutrinos in the OPERA experiment are
much higher energy than supernova neutrinos and therefore might have
different properties (speed, for example).

Paul

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

We have had a lively discussion on this on the physics list I manage, Dr
Vic Stenger's atoms and void list on this. I also have a personal interest
in this having suggested back in 2003 along with a lot others that neutrinos
might in fact be Tachyons. There was some hint of this in the SN 1987A
data , though this is refuted by many. Also the 4.5 PEV knee in the cosmic ray
spectrum and the end point mass squared measurements in beta decay for
neutrinos consistently return values less than 0 though with error bars into
positive values. However, , while this is an interesting possibility, it's
chance of being correct are admittingly small. The OPERA results are
perplexing they indicate an impossibly high velocity for the muon neutrino based
on SN 1987 A data and the mass squared difference between nu_1 and nu_2.
Someone suggested that assuming neutrinos are Tachyon, perhaps some form of
MSW effect might effectively give the nu_1 mass eigenstate a high enough
mass value to get these very high speeds. Well maybe. The most likely
possibility is that the OPERA results are erroneous. See below.

Bob Zannelli

In a message dated 9/23/2011 4:48:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,