Re: [Phys-l] Amplitude in E&M

Is it only for a traveling E&M wave in free space that the two waves pass zero simultaneously?

Well, no, I suppose a purely STANDING wave does too?

We suppose that an electromagnetic wave cycles magnetic and electric
components (though I hear it is considered improper to represent this
wave as cycling between modes, for some reason that escapes me)