Re: [Phys-l] Movie Physics Gafs

Back in the days of giving summer workshops for teachers I bought a supply of brass pins (for NON-magnetic items) and el cheapo compasses from Oriental Trading for general magnetic stuff.

The 'brass' pins turned out to be brass plated steel and the compasses all had aluminum needles ! ! !

I had the joy of 'correcting' the polarity of our Sargent Welch re-magnetizer box as well.

(When was it that the physics books stopped labeling the N end of a compass as the 'North SEEKING' pole!!!!) grrr. I remember Dull Metcalf and Williams doing this back in the bad-old-days)

I started hanging a bar magnet from the light fixture and asking students (and fellow teachers) which end would point towards Santa Claus. (or Canada - for the non-believers)
.