From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Rauber, Joel
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 1:56 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] an all-too-predictable blackout

Auditory quality is very subjective. It is also conflated with
inaccurate memory and the deterioration of my own auditory sensory
apparatus. I.e. 45-55 year old ears judging cell phones compared to 5-
25 year old ears on an old black Ma Bell rotary. Yes my brain receives
worse auditory signals in my usage of new technology. Is this all due
to the quality of the phones? Most decidedly NO! To many variables;
but I do suspect that the speakers were better in my old rotary than in
my cell phone; but perhaps it is more the connections that our better.
By better I do not mean flat frequency response over the human 18 year-
old auditory range.

Etc. etc. afterall, I did partly label my post as being in part
nostalgia

Joel Rauber, Ph.D
Professor and Head of Physics
Department of Physics