Re: [Phys-l] Marylin vos Savant again!

Yikes!

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Bob Sciamanda
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:50 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: [Phys-l] Marylin vos Savant again!

Marylin vos Savant was recently asked:

"I understand why using a fan on the back porch, where the temperature is 102, won't cool me off, because the air is warmer than I am. But why does sitting in front of the fan make me feel hotter than not using a fan at all?
I can't wrap my brain around this!".

Marylin replied:

"Sitting right in front of a fan, especially when it's turned up all the way, may cause your skin moisture (a.k.a. sweat!) to dry up, taking away your body's main means of cooling itself. When the temperature is dangerously high and there's no air-conditioning, spending long periods of time in front of a fan can be risky unless you mist yourself frequently. If your skin gets blown dry, you could develop heat exhaustion-or worse, heatstroke."

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
treborsci@verizon.net
http://mysite.verizon.net/res12merh/