Re: [Phys-l] decibels

On 8/28/2011 2:59 PM, Kyle Forinash wrote:
Hi;

Decibels for acoustic applications are always positive numbers,
basically because the log of the ratio is intensity (W/m^2) to a very
small reference intensity (10^-12 W/m^2) and ambient sound is always
greater than this reference so the ln is positive.

I'm a little confused about what ratio of reference power or voltage is
used in electronics/engineering (where the dB scale is usually a set of
negative numbers). In particular, electrical engineers seem to come up
with this negative scale even when the circuit is measuring input from a
microphone. Can anyone point me to a reference that makes the connection
between the acoustic scale and the electrical engineering scale?

kyle

No reference immediately on hand - but in engineering usage, the wide ranging dB
scale is always specified by reference to some standard - a popular one is xxx dBm

Where dBm means "with reference to one milliwatt (the m)

It is incorrect usage in that milieu to specify no reference value.

Brian W