Re: [Phys-l] cooling hints

I would add that we certainly don't want to foster a message that could easily be misinterpreted and produce those unintended consequences similar to those Michael has documented. For example, how many people might take the 'turn it off' too litterally and upon leaving for their three month stay in Florida over the winter, simply shut off their furnace. That certainly saves energy, but when they return to a flooded house with multiple busted pipes and pay for the clean up, repair, AND the enormous water bills (had our cleaning person leave a toilet running one Xmas vacation and ran up a $100 water bill--normally $25!). Down to 50 Fahrenheit is OK, off doesn't work in my neck of the woods!

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana

Free Physics Instructional Software
Updates and new multi-resolutions versions now available.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Edmiston" <edmiston@bluffton.edu>

Although I appreciate attempts to simulate energy usage and possible savings
by doing experiments like James Mackey described, the full picture is pretty
complicated and not easily simulated in the lab. We did not anticipate
water running down our walls and losing the salt windows in our FT-IR until
it happened. That was expensive. Also, so far, from viewing our actual
electricity bills, it appears we are saving money at the church by keeping
the temperature constant 24/7 rather than setting it back at night. This
doesn't even count any savings that can come from reduced organ or piano
maintenance, etc.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Chair, Division of Natural and Applied Sciences
Bluffton University
1 University Drive
Bluffton, OH 45817

419.358.3270 (office)