Re: [Phys-l] frizzi

On 08/20/2011 02:17 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
where we are is big debt and a very bad recession (I won't use hyperbole and say the word depression)

Yeah. That's what happens when the previous administration, which inherited
from Clinton a strong economy and a budget surplus, nevertheless manages to
run huge deficits year after year /before/ the very bad recession hit, and
then hands off a moribund economy to the current administration.

And, as John M. has repeatedly pointed out, debt and recession are not the
same thing. Repeatedly mentioning them in the same sentence does not make
them the same thing. Not even close.

Why was it permissible for the previous administration to borrow when it was
the wrong thing to do, yet not permissible for the present administration to
borrow when it is the right thing to do?

Why was it permissible for the previous administration to borrow, yet not
permissible for the present administration to be in debt?

Why was it OK for Republican majorities to raise the debt ceiling 7 times
during the previous administration, but not OK to raise it again now?

Why was it OK for the Republican majority to threaten to do away with filibusters
entirely if the Democrats did not allow an up-or-down vote on Bush-nominated
judiciary candidates, yet OK for the Republican minority to filibuster and
obstruct innumerable well-qualified Obama-nominated judiciary candidates, not
to mention executive and agency candidates? It cracked me up to learn that a
Nobel laureate in economics was not qualified for a seat on the Federal Reserve
Board.