Re: [Phys-l] frizzi

As science types, let's not make claims that need qualification, and not include that qualification. If what you mean by mainstream economists is Keynesian economists, then your claim is correct. There are an equal number of qualified economists who realize that Keynesian economics has failed every time it's been tried, and you are not including those people in your statement. We are in danger of what has been called a Keynesian death spiral, in which the government stimulates the economy ad nauseum. There has to be a rebound when the funds run out, and then the government has to spend even more money. The only way out of that is to spend even more money, and eventually, you have to come out of the hole you have dug. FDR gets much credit for having saved the country, but there are plenty of economic scholars who believe that FDR only prolonged the depression with his massive government spending. There is no way to get out of a recession or a depression without pain, but the question is, which way is the quickest way out? Keynesian economics is absurd at its face, that you can spend your way out of a recession. That especially applies to government spending, where waste is commonplace. Why does it make sense to take one person's money and give it to another, all the while taking a massive cut for yourself? That's what the government does. Better, maybe, to let the transactions take place without the government being involved?

I know this post doesn't belong on this list, but politics always seem to creep in. I've said what I intend to say, and will not post further on this.
.
Bill