From: Derek McKenzie <derek_s_mckenzie@hotmail.com>
To: physl <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:55 PM
Subject: [Phys-l] Typesetting Physics Equations

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what the best options are nowadays for professionally typsetting equation-rich physics lecture notes and books.

Do people still use Latex, for example, or are there better ways out there (e.g. Microsoft Word's Equation Editor)?

Also, what about formatting mathematical equations for web pages? From what I can tell, the best way to get professional equations in html is to generate them in something like Latex and then use gif images of the equations, rather than the equations themselves, but I don't know if that is what people tend to do nowadays.

My main goal is for really crisp professional looking notes, so if there is a steep learning curve involved I'm ok with that.

Thanks very much for your help!

Derek