Re: [Phys-l] Why soldiers break step on small bridges, and not so small.

On 2011, Aug 02, , at 08:04, John Clement wrote:

Dancers have this problem, or rather the building owners have this problem
when they rent to dance groups. I used to dance on the third floor of an
old wood frame church building. You could actually see the floor go up and
down in time with the music. Underneath this room was a small wedding
chapel with a false ceiling. Every Sat after our dancing the maintenance
people had to sweep plaster dust off of the chairs. Finally the group was
banished to the gym in the basement when they had to sweep off the whole
plaster ceiling.

Dancing on a rigid floor is painful! The Felton Community Hall had a suspended floor -- a dining area and kitchen below. When it burned to the ground, I couldn't believe it, as the fire station is next door!

Furthermore, because the rebuilders threatened to fill in the basement and use a concrete floor the Contra Dance community sold T shirts and solicited donations to keep the original floor plan. We succeeded:

http://www.feltonhall.org/

bc suspects JC noticed this.