[Phys-l] Bressoud's MAA Launchings piece "The Best Way to Teach"

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in David Bressoud' s (2011) latest MAA "Launchings" piece "The Best Way to Learn."

Bressoud <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bressoud> is DeWitt Wallace Professor of Mathematics at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota, and Past-President of the Mathematical Association of America.

Bressoud's first paragraph is [bracketed by lines "BBBBB. . . . "; slightly edited:

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
Last month, in "The Worst Way to Teach" [Bressoud (2011a)], I wrote about some of the problems with instruction delivered by lecture. It stirred up a fair amount of discussion. Richard Hake (2011a) started a thread on the MathForum. He added several references to my own list and sparked a discussion that produced some heat and a lot of light.

I do want to clarify that I recognize how important what I say in the classroom can be, as I will expound a bit later in this column. Nevertheless, I stand by my statement that "sitting still, listening to someone talk, and attempting to transcribe what they have said into a notebook is a very poor substitute for actively engaging with the material at hand, for doing mathematics."
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

"The best way to learn is to do; the worst way to teach is to talk." Halmos, Moise, & Piranian (1975), quoted by Bressoud (2011b)

"Some say that the only possible effect of the Moore method is to produce research mathematicians, but I don't agree. The Moore method is, I am convinced the right way to teach anything and everything. It produces students who can understand and use what they have learned. . . . . . There is an old Chinese proverb that I learned from Moore himself: 'I hear, I forget; I see, I remember. I do, I understand.' "
Halmos (1988, p. 258)

REFERENCES [All URL's accessed on 1 August 2011; most are shortened by <http://bit.ly/>.]

Bressoud, D. 2011a. " The Worst Way to Teach," in Launchings of 1 July; online at <http://www.maa.org/columns/launchings/launchings_07_11.html> =
<http://bit.ly/nmJJpj >.

Bressoud, D. 2011b. "The Best Way to Learn," in Launchings of 1 August; online at <http://launchings.blogspot.com/2011_08_01_archive.html> = <http://bit.ly/qRHMCp>.

Hake, R.R. 2011a. "Re: Lecture Isn't Effective: More Evidence," online on the OPEN! MathEdCC archives at <http://bit.ly/r80W5i> along with 10 responses as of 22 July 2011. Post of 15 July, shamelessly cross-posted to Math-Teach, Math-Learn, MathEdCC, and RUME. See also the subsequent posts Hake (2011b,c).

Hake, R.R. 2011b. "Re: Lecture Isn't Effective: More Evidence #2," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/mXiXoh>. Post of 20 Jul 2011 17:13:46-0400 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/rr2BQU> with a provision for comments. See also the precursor Hake (2011a).

Hake, R.R. 2011c. "Re: Lecture Isn't Effective: More Evidence #4," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/oVqvml>. Post of 22 Jul 2011 14:52:44 -0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/qC58LF> with a provision for comments.

Halmos, P.R., E.E. Moise, & G. Piranian. 1975. "The Problem of Learning to Teach," The American Mathematical Monthly 82(5): 466-476; the first page is online at <http://www.jstor.org/pss/2319737>.

Halmos, P.R. 1988. "I Want to Be a Mathematician: An Automathography in Three Parts." Mathematical Association of America (MAA), publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/pKtfrL>. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/oImPVB>.