Re: [Phys-l] Why soldiers break step on small bridges, and not so small.

For what it's worth, the Mythbusters addressed this issue and made a fairly good case that it would be difficult for soldiers to get a regular bridge (not a flimsy footbridge) to execute normal modes of vibration by marching in step. The skyscraper story is definitely believable, as extensive measures are taken to prevent winds from making skyscrapers sway out of control. A brief article intended for the layperson on the subject: http://www.nsta.org/publications/search_journals.aspx?keyword=skyscrapers&journal=SC

Bill