Re: [Phys-l] Lecture Isn't Effective: More Evidence #2

The issue I haven't seen addressed very well here is 'Life long learning'.
I really believe that school is where we learn how to learn. We do learn a
few essential facts and a few essential skills, but the most important thing
is how to keep learning--and to be successful at anything, it will be
essential that we do so--the knowledge (and skills) keep changing throughout
our lives. The question then becomes, how well does modeling, guided
enquiry, etc. versus assigned reading and 'lectures' prepare students for
their future learning. How structured is personal learning outside the
classroom? In the end, the success or failure of instructional techniques
can only be assessed by the success or failure of students in their
fields--and success or failure several years out.

The other problem (always) with these discussions is the straw man
'lecture'. I say that because I doubt that many, if any of us, actually
goes into the classroom and transcribes the book on the chalkboard (as many
of our professors did). Our classrooms are probably much more as Mike as
described--discussion, questioning, maybe working a few example
problems--going through the thought processes (then having students practice
the same), using simulations, videos, live demos and the like to spur
interests and hold attentions. 'Pure' lecture classes are, I believe,
relatively rare.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics