Re: [Phys-l] Retention: tail wags dog

How do they define retention?
DEW (D's E's & withdrawals after official date) for a single course, or majors in a year or by 4yr degree?

Dan M

On Jul 20, 2011, at 3:47 PM, trappe@physics.utexas.edu wrote:

I recently received an "Instructor Responsibilities" list as part of a
teaching contract at a "For Profit" College.

I invite your comments on this particular item:
"You understand that 87% retention is the minimum student retention
expectation and will be included as part of your yearly evaluation."

In particular, does anyone have hard data on typical (college) student
retention numbers in Physics (also interested in college algebra).

While we would all like to have that many students commited to doing
what it takes for their retention in our classes, the subject often
lends itself to self-removal. I have heard numbers closer to 50% in
some classes.

Since this is a "for profit" notion, and since there is a prevailing
wind that the "business model" of education is what we ALL should be
practicing, I get the foreboding that this tail will soon be wagging
everybody's dog. Already, legislatures are pushing for greater
retention ind increased graduation rates in public colleges.

But 87% minumum retention is pushing the envelope, especially as an
indicator for faculty dismissal. Have any of you observed this
phenomenon in your teaching?

Thanks, Karl