Re: [Phys-l] Retention: tail wags dog

David has a good point. Does the 87% rule apply to all classes regardless of enrollment numbers?

What makes 87 a magic number? Why not 85% or 80%?

On Jul 20, 2011, at 7:09 PM, David Marx wrote:

Hi All:

I do not find anything wrong with this requirement per class for larger classes. When I teach large
sections, I have a maximum of 85 students. I've never had more then 3 or 4 drop such classes, so
having 11 students dropping a course would be a good indicator that something is wrong.

On the other hand, if I had a class with 5 students and 1 dropped, then I would be in trouble according
to this rule.

John, if only our students could retain 87% of course material...

Cheers,
David