Re: [Phys-l] Lecture Isn't Effective: More Evidence #2

Isn't The Feynman Lectures still effective?
The conclusion should be "many did not know how to deliver lecture effectively."

Best regards,
Alphonsus

Quoting Richard Hake <rrhake@earthlink.net>:

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in
a discussion-list post "Re: Lecture Isn't
Effective: More Evidence #2" [Hake (2011)].

The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In reply to my post "Re: Lecture Isn't
Effective: More Evidence" at
<http://bit.ly/r80W5i>, Ed Laughbaum of the
MathEdCC list wrote at <http://bit.ly/r8StCV>:
"My guess is that of the nearly 6 billion people
on earth who have been (are being) educated,
learned through lecture. . . . . Is lecture a
common practice in China? In India? In Thailand?
In Brazil? Canada, etc.? My guess is yes. "

To which Alain Schremmer replied "Yes, most
people in the world learn from lectures but this
is only because, in most of the world, there just
are no textbooks: the teacher writes the book on
the board and the students copy what's on the
board in their notebook."

A MUST-READ all-time classic in this regard is
the hilarious "The Lecture System in Teaching
Science" [Morrison (1986)] online at
<http://entropysite.oxy.edu/morrison.html>.

Laughbaum went on to point out that the
effectiveness (or ineffectiveness) of lectures is
related to the neurobiology of human memory as
discussed by Gerald M. Edelman
<http://bit.ly/n1LpW9>, Terry McDermott
<http://bit.ly/qNPAQP>, and Richard Restak
<http://bit.ly/pfWYNg>.