Re: [Phys-l] Lecture Isn't Effective: More Evidence #2

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in a discussion-list post "Re: Lecture Isn't Effective: More Evidence #2" [Hake (2011)].

The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In reply to my post "Re: Lecture Isn't Effective: More Evidence" at <http://bit.ly/r80W5i>, Ed Laughbaum of the MathEdCC list wrote at <http://bit.ly/r8StCV>: "My guess is that of the nearly 6 billion people on earth who have been (are being) educated, learned through lecture. . . . . Is lecture a common practice in China? In India? In Thailand? In Brazil? Canada, etc.? My guess is yes. "

To which Alain Schremmer replied "Yes, most people in the world learn from lectures but this is only because, in most of the world, there just are no textbooks: the teacher writes the book on the board and the students copy what's on the board in their notebook."

A MUST-READ all-time classic in this regard is the hilarious "The Lecture System in Teaching Science" [Morrison (1986)] online at <http://entropysite.oxy.edu/morrison.html>.

Laughbaum went on to point out that the effectiveness (or ineffectiveness) of lectures is related to the neurobiology of human memory as discussed by Gerald M. Edelman <http://bit.ly/n1LpW9>, Terry McDermott <http://bit.ly/qNPAQP>, and Richard Restak <http://bit.ly/pfWYNg>.

To access the complete 13 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/mXiXoh>.

Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

"Like the entomologist in search of brightly colored butterflies, my attention hunted, in the garden of gray matter, cells with delicate and elegant forms, the mysterious butterflies of the soul."
-Santiago Ramón y Cajal <http://bit.ly/pTBxSA>, quoted on p. 12 of Edelman (2006)

REFERENCES [URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 11 July 2011.]
Edelman, G.M. 2006. "Second nature: Brain science and Human Knowledge". Yale University Press. Publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/n1LpW9>. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/q5WOvl>.

Hake, R.R. 2011. "Re: Lecture Isn't Effective: More Evidence #2," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/mXiXoh>. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/rr2BQU> with a provision for comments.