Re: [Phys-l] atomic trap question

On 7/10/2011 2:06 PM, John Denker wrote:
/snip/
I'm not sure what sort of answer is expected, so let me say a
few things that /might/ be helpful.

*) The atoms do not have net electrical charge (electric dipole
moment). Well, sometimes they do, but then the game is called
/ion/ trapping, and that's explicitly not what was asked about,
so let's skip this and move on.
/snip/

Hmmm...this does not read quite right to me.
The idea of the electric dipole moment of electrically neutral atoms,
when incorporated in an uncharged molecule, anyone?

Brian W