Re: [Phys-l] Another Fukushima in Nebraska?

Perhaps they were too busy with the Casey Anthony trial :-)

Bob at PC

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] on behalf of Bernard Cleyet [bernardcleyet@redshift.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:37 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Another Fukushima in Nebraska?

On 2011, Jun 28, , at 20:06, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

What do you mean by "blackout" and by which "media"? I just Googled lots of stories about the flooding and the rumors of meltdown.

Bob at PC

If you read the article whose link I posted (after some difficulty) you will find the article is dated June 23 (five days ago). The flooding began June 6.

Had you heard of the possible crisis then?

I agree the article is alarmist, and it is miss-titled in that it doesn't give the reason for the lack of alarm and media attention.

bc

Without reading this appears to be "propaganda":

http://mgx.com/blogs/2011/06/18/media-blackout-is-accused-in-flooded-fort-calhoun-nuclear-power-plant-fire/

http://www.huntingtonnews.net/5415

p.s. I'd think, after Fukushima, any suspected repeat would be front page news -- I didn't know about this 'till yesterday from a subscription on-line news "paper". One shouldn't need to google to learn of this possible crisis. Remember there's been loss of cooling for a few hours, and a switch room fire already. If there is a cloud burst, and the river rises a few more feet, what will happen?