[Phys-l] LED phosphorescence

A more cost effective method is to use UV or blue LEDs and
 broaden the light spectrum using phosphors.

What I am pretty sure is happening is that the phosphor needs  time to heat
up before it emits light over a broad spectrum, the purple tinge  reflects
the fact that the LED's being used are emitting UV light. I can't  find
anything in the literature on LED lighting that talks about this, hence my  post.

Bob Zannelli

I am curious, when you cut power to the LED array, does the array
continue to glow at all? If so, what color?

It won't be a long-acting phosphor like they use in commercial
glow-in-the-dark materials these days, but it may have a residual
glow.

--
James K. Deane