Re: [Phys-l] Interesting LED Light Effect- Reality Check Request

In a message dated 6/24/2011 12:21:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Paul.Nord@valpo.edu writes:

Here's a reality check.

Why would anyone buy LED bulbs? They're much LESS efficient than CFL's.

GE LED:
2.8 W, 80 lumens, 12,000 hour life

GE CFL:
15 W, 740 lumens, 8,000 hour life

Nearly 10x the light output for only 5x power. The CFL is roughly twice
as efficient as the LED.

Paul

LEDs contain no mercury. It's my understanding that, at least in principle,
LEDs are more efficient. The numbers I saw ( ideal I think) are ( Ratio of
light output to power consumption in reference to Incandescent)

CFL 3.84/1
LED 4.44/1
Bob Zanneli