Re: [Phys-l] slow news day?

There's a question perfectly suited to experimental investigation!

Just as the 'closeness' of a shave does not scale linearly with blade numbers, I take it that the cost of a razor also does not scale linearly with blade numbers. More costs proportionately less.

Then there's another case:
I was talking to a fellow last week who keeps an ex-Chinese primary trainer. He's had it for fifteen years. It will go 180 mph compared to the modest 100 mph my old Cessna will do. Rugged and reliable (pneumatic everything!)
But it costs 18 gallons of mogas per hour, compared to my 5.5 gals/hr.

I might easily have picked these numbers out of the air to illustrate the square law of energy versus speed in airplanes - but I didn't. More speed really does cost disproportionately more....

Brian W