Re: [Phys-l] memory associations Was: Re: thoughts for future physics regents.

On 2011, Jun 23, , at 12:19, John Denker wrote:

On 06/23/2011 12:05 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:
Reminds me of the locus method -- placing the ideas to be remembered
on the various statutes in the person's atrium; Sci. Am. article
from long ago.

I remember the illustration of a Greek or Roman atrium w/ busts on pedestals and the idea or thing to be remembered on each in the article describing the locus method of about 1960.

The article (web page) to which I linked ascribes the method to Simonides of Ceos who discovered it, because he remembered the crushed from where they sat at the banquet table just before the building collapsed, why? an earthquake?

Long ago?

The idea dates back a couple of thousand years, at least.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_loci

My Sci. Am. collection doesn't go back that far.

bc remembers the illustration and very little else, not even if the article was about mnemonics or physiology, and is surprised it either didn't describe the disastrous banquet or he just doesn't remember. He also thinks the statutes were in the atrium of a famous Roman orator.

p.s note the power of illustrations!

p.p.s. Snark warning: If JD had read the beginning of my linked article, he and I would not have written replies.