[Phys-l] Personalized System of Instruction...please post to PHYS-L

From: "Robert G. Fuller" <rfuller8311@comcast.net>
Date: June 21, 2011 6:20:33 PM EDT
To: <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Personalized System of Instruction...please post to PHYS-L

Dear Dan,

In the mid-1970s, I became a representative for the Keller Plan, or Personalized System of Instruction, in physics. I taught using the Keller Plan at Nebraska and then spend a year at UCB teaching Karplus's Keller Plan course there. In 1975, we got an NSF grant to produce a complete year of calculus-based physics Keller Plan modules and mastery tests written by 15 experienced Keller Plan physics teachers. I managed the project and oversaw the production of the printed materials, about 1100 pages.

I recently came across the printed copies of these documents and with the aid of the student workers for the UNL Digital Commons these materials are available as pdf downloads.

The Digital Commons has established a Physics Instructional Materials location:
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/physicsinstructional/

That location provides the link to the materials we wrote about the Keller Plan or Personalized System of Instruction PSI)...rationale, how to use it, who should us it, etc.etc.etc. We even made a film about it that may eventually be available on the site. Now it is only pdf copies of the printed materials. The index with links to those PSI materials is at :
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/physicspsikeller/

The actual calculus-based physics modules with practice and mastery tests and grading keys are now available also:
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/calculusbasedphysics/

The opening module lays out the structure and prerequisites of each module.
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/calculusbasedphysics/47/

I thought maybe some readers of PHYS-L might be interested in these materials. These CBP modules were also used for some high school AP self-paced courses over the years and Dave Winch converted them into a correspondence course of the Univ. of Nebraska.

Best wishes,
Bob Fuller