[Phys-l] thoughts for future physics regents.

in the past i have always told students that if they have any doubts about a
units that should use dimensional analysis and leave the units as it. For
example kgm2/s2 instead of Joule. After grading the regents today I am
re-thinking this strategy. I find that the type of student that might not
be sure about what the unit should be is also less likely to properly do
dimensional analysis. Next year, I am just going to make sure that students
look at what is being asked for and use the corresponding unit. I had a few
one or two kids leave kgm/s2 leaving out the square after the meter which
would make it a Joule. The regents takes off a point out of two points for
this type of unit mistake. any thoughts on ways to make sure kids do not
mess up on units.
-mike barr