Re: [Phys-l] solenoidal and cylindrical EM sourced magnetic fields.

On 2011, Jun 11, , at 12:44, Donald Polvani wrote:

Jackson, "Classical Electrodynamics", 1962 works out (unfortunately, in cgs
units) the exact magnetic field from a circular loop carrying a constant
current I and of radius a. Although the general solution involves the
complete elliptic integrals K and E, the exact B field, on axis (B_r), is
given simply by:

B_r = (2I*pi*a^2/cr^3)*1/(1 + a^2/r^2)^3/2

Where c = speed of light, pi = the usual math constant 3.14...

From this, we see that on axis:

1) For r >> a, B_r varies as 1/r^3

2) For r << a, B_r is constant

3) For r ~ a, B_r varies, approximately, as 1/r

Don

so as:

As Donald Polvani noted in his message,
"...the text said that the field will be calculated NEAR a disc or a
cylindrical magnet. In the near field for such geometries, the field should fall
off as 1/r^2 ".

then intermediately 1/r^2, a < r < >> a ?

bc thinks K&J should post the limits to the region of approximation.

p.s. I used the calculator, because I could read my table of elliptical integrals.