Re: [Phys-l] Classical Adiabatic Invariant

On 06/06/2011 10:53 AM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:
I'm attempting to understand this as applied to a simple pendulum.
The examples I've found apply to shortening the rod. Wherein
E/omega is a constant. Shortening the rod increases the frequency,
so the E must increase.

On 06/06/2011 06:26 PM, we got a clarification:
The changes are very slow. i.e. The increase of v. ~ 60
microgals, (in ~9.8E+8micro. ) which "takes" ~12 hours. The period
of the pendulum is 2Hz.

In the limit of very slow changes, this is an easy problem.
It involves nothing more than high-school physics.

If you approach it the right way, you should be able to do
it in your head, in less time than it takes to tell about it.

Hint: The energy is *not* proportional to omega.

Bigger hint: There are some classical invariants that can
be invoked. E/omega is just not one of them.

Ginormous hint:
Ercynpr gur ebq ol n fgevat gung cnffrf guebhtu n ubyr va
na vzzbinoyr gbc-cyngr. Chyyvat ba gur fgevat unf gur fnzr
arg rssrpg nf fubegravat gur ebq ... ohg vg znl or rnfvre
gb nppbhag sbe gur sbepr ba gur fgevat.