[Phys-l] know thine enemy

The obvious joke to insert here is: "you mean the students, the professors, or the administration?" On some level, they were all enemies, but also all friends.

Some context: the SCALE-UP classroom I helped teach was a freshman-level calc-based physics class. The one for physics majors, and those others who were required to take it. This included CS, chemistry, and bioengineering majors, for example. There is no larger engineering school at this University, hence the total department load teaching physics as a support class, although large, is not as massive as some places. Although there is a major medical school, AFAICT premeds by and large take the algebra-based physics class.

Some quick observations, just about the students:

1. Despite not being a teacher, I have lurked on this list for many years. Based on many things I've read, I was expecting many remedial students. We collected a detailed survey from the students at the beginning as to their backgrounds and expectations. To be sure, there were those who had never taken a physics class, or those who had but stated it as worthless, usually because the HS teacher was not a physics teacher. OTOH, there were a large number that had taken several AP classes, you name it: math, calculus, physics, chemistry, they had it all. We also have local specialty schools focusing on math and science, and drew students from them. It became clear that this University can well afford to accept only the best, by whatever measure that means. I did not expect this.

2. The class was mostly freshman, and some sophomores, and just a scattering of upperclassmen/women. This University is now, overall, 60% women and 40% men, I am told (thereabouts). Historically, I have been told that the physics class sometimes has reflected this, but it is not common. Each of the 2 semesters I taught (fall/spring) had about 25% women, more or less. Despite living here, I didn't even know the University was now mostly women.

3. By and large, these students were used to being the best at their respective high schools. Some of them may not have ever gotten anything other than As. The freshman especially seemed to think that college might be like HS. After all, they took AP classes and got great grades, and that's just like college, right? They not only signed up for physics, but for math and chemistry and biomed and what-have-you, just like they did in high school. And many were absolutely, totally, abjectly... crushed. Although I was not able to query every last student, I got into conversations with several about the University guidance services. Their opinion? Guidance services are useless. I did not expect this.

4. I helped teach the same class, in the fall when there were a total of 4 sections, 1 of them SCALE-UP, and in the spring again for those students who were "off track," when there were a total of 3 sections, 1 of them SCALE-UP. The second thing I did not expect was the difference in personality from one semester to the next, although in retrospect it makes sense. The fall students basically were idealistic about college - it takes a while to grind the life out of a child you know, whereas the spring students had had their heads handed to them in the fall, and had developed a cynicism that I'm sure we honed further. Cynicism on the part of once idealistic young people? Not too much surprise there. But was did surprise me was how striking the difference was after really just... what... 15 weeks?

OK, some of my wording leans to hyperbole, but there's a lot of grains of truth in there. I'll next share some observations about the administration and the professors, and then talk about the SCALE-UP class. I'm still working in industry, at least until my company shuts down in the next 2 months, so I'll write and respond, if anyone shows interest, as I can.

Stefan Jeglinski