Re: [Phys-l] learning, judgment, self-assessment, etc.

One difference between flying lessons and science classes is that flying
lessons are typically one-on-one.

IMO this is a key. Ah-hah moments seem rare in the classroom. They are more common one-on-one. Regardless, it is the ah-hah moment that can in and of itself be the key "motivator" (another word that's been used in this thread). The student experiencing an ah-hah moment (or more than one hopefully) suddenly has more energy, more enthusiasm, and the belief, if not pride, that maybe just maybe they have what it takes to figure this topic out. Self-assessment then might show gains - the student would no longer expect to fail him/herself over and over.

I suppose the teacher that can string together one ah-hah moment after another, as a matter of design, would be a consistent award winner and paradigm shifter. Ah-hah moments, however, are born of mile-deep-inch-wide instruction.

Why do we tolerate this?

I've been asking this question rhetorically. I know the answer for myself. For the first time ever, I've just finished teaching 2 semesters at an arguably world-class (at least by the South's standards) local university after working in industry for 31 years. The system seems designed to not tolerate anything other than inch-deep and mile-wide. But I'm not sure it was that different 35 years ago when I started?

I personally tolerate because I have no standing. I'm not sure "standing" is the difference in the end though. I've been getting to know other profs; even the ones with standing must tolerate.

Of course, I also have a lot to learn about teaching. I rather like the fact that I don't know how to "do it," although I think some are appalled to hear this. We had a textbook that cost something like $265 - are you kidding? I rarely referred to it except to find problems. From here, I have many soapboxes just waiting for me to stand on.

I have a list of observations about students that I've wanted to share. Just can't find the time to organize it into coherent threads, but this thread seems like a good place to start. One thing above all for now: they are not easily fooled, young and inexperienced though they may be. They know when they are being taught, and they know when they are not. I hope to always be figuring how to teach them, as opposed to how to fool them. Otherwise they are lost to you, in an instant.

Stefan Jeglinski