From: brian whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Galaxies and clustering in astronomy
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Date: Sunday, 15 May, 2011, 17:46

On 5/14/2011 2:27 AM, alex brown wrote:
Hello All,

I could not find anything about this in the archive so thought I'd ask here.

I have a 3d array of points with each point having an "intensity."  I wish to group points into "galaxies," and wonder what algorithms are used in astronom?  Does anyon here have any experience in this? I am looking for something that would be quick and does not need to be 100% accurate.

As an aside the actual problem is......  circle recognition in an image from a fabry perot.  I have used hough transform and my 3d array is in "hough space." The array is sparse and thus I thought it is analogous to the problem of stars and assigning them to galaxies.  I don't want to reinvent the wheel so....

Thanks for any suggestions
Alex

Not sure how helpful it is: but a grey scale image can be processed in
the Matlab application to
provide circle center locations and radii, see this:

<http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/9168-detect-circles-with-various-radii-in-grayscale-image-via-hough-transform>

*http://tinyurl.com/42n7h3e*

Brian W