Re: [Phys-l] Symbol for uncertainty

Got it. I learned just delta.

Bill

On May 13, 2011, at 7:42 PM, James McLean wrote:

Yes. It cannot serve the purpose that I am referring to.

+- notation is just fine for reporting the result of a measurement.
That's what I mean by "One can get a long way without using any
particular symbol."

However, suppose that you want to teach that when physical variables are
related by x=z+y, if you measure z and y, then
del-x = sqrt((del-z)^2+(del-y)^2).
As far as I can see, to teach this it is nearly a absolute requirement
to have an algebraic symbol that represents "uncertainty in z" (which
I've here written as del-z). The +- notation is no help at all.

To put another way, I am NOT asking about how people like to notate
uncertainty of a specific measurement. After all, that tradition is
very firmly established. I AM asking about what people use for an
abstract algebraic symbol for uncertainty, when the need arises.

Cheers,
-- James