Re: [Phys-l] Japan situation : information, or lack thereof

From: WC Maddox

I was on the Enterprise shortly after you. It had been refueled so Xenon was not a problem during operation but could still cause a delay in restarting a reactor.
When I was on the Enterprise in the Reactor Dept. some reactors were frequently down due to corrosion producing holes in the small tubes in the steam generators. I spent some time sitting on top of a reactor watching a display while someone ran an eddy current probe in and out of the thousand plus small tubes to detect a hole. Once while I was aboard the other operational reactors were unavailable for a short time due to loss of cooling water for steam due to blocked pipes in an incident similar to one you describe below. At least we did not need a tow. The reactors were the PWR type.

End Message

It is true that Enterprise has 8 reactors, but I have not heard that
it ever got down to one operating reactor.*I served on board
Enterprise (albeit not in the reactor department) from 1967-69*, at
the tail end of a fuel cycle (I left the ship as is pulled into
Norfolk for its second refueling). The reactor officer was a friend
of mine and so I knew something about how the reactors were
operating, since the fuel was nearing the end of its useful life he
had to nurse the reactors with some care. If they were put under much
stress the xenon fraction in the fuel rods would zoom up and the
reactors could scram due to the high neutron capture x-section of
xenon, so our maneuvering was somewhat limited, and all major power
changes had to be scheduled in advance so as to avoid the xenon
effect. But I do not believe that any of the reactors ever shut down
other than intentionally while I was on board. This may have happened
either before or after my time, but not while I was there.

As to getting in and out of Pearl Harbor. I was aboard Enterprise
when her condenser intakes got clogged with mud as she was getting
underway. It was a bit embarrassing, but caused only an ignominious
tow the 200 yards from the "sticking point" back to the pier, and a
several-hour delay in sailing. We cleaned the pipes, waited for high
tide and we were on our way. I suspect that following that incident
the harbor was dredged to a few feet deeper. After all, those hogs
displace around 100,000 tons and draw upwards of 36 feet when loaded.
Not as much as a supertanker, but those guys never even come into
port. They off-load at pumping stations often several miles out to
sea.

I'd be interested in hearing details on when "the Big E" was reduced
to a single reactor.

Hugh