Re: [Phys-l] Japan situation : information, or lack thereof

At 3:49 PM -0500 5/3/11, William Maddox wrote:

Perhaps civilian power plant owners and operators could get help from
the US Navy. The USS Enterprise has 8 reactors but has been down to 1
operating reactor while at sea. There are problems getting a ship that
size in and out of port in Hawaii without the pipes that supply water to
cool the steam getting clogged. So it is possible to have a "self
contained" pressurized water reactor. Is there a technical reason this
can't be done with a boiling water reactor (as opposed to greed or poor
design)?

Apparently the US is going to be spared its own reactor/cooling pond
meltdown at Browns Ferry following shutdown after tornadoes went through
Alabama last week. Two sources of offsite power have been restored. The
reactors may be shutdown for 2-3 more weeks while the power lines are
repaired so the reactors can supply power to Alabama.

It is true that Enterprise has 8 reactors, but I have not heard that it ever got down to one operating reactor. I served on board Enterprise (albeit not in the reactor department) from 1967-69, at the tail end of a fuel cycle (I left the ship as is pulled into Norfolk for its second refueling). The reactor officer was a friend of mine and so I knew something about how the reactors were operating, since the fuel was nearing the end of its useful life he had to nurse the reactors with some care. If they were put under much stress the xenon fraction in the fuel rods would zoom up and the reactors could scram due to the high neutron capture x-section of xenon, so our maneuvering was somewhat limited, and all major power changes had to be scheduled in advance so as to avoid the xenon effect. But I do not believe that any of the reactors ever shut down other than intentionally while I was on board. This may have happened either before or after my time, but not while I was there.

Later nuclear carriers have only 2 reactors (which together put out more power than did the 8 on Enterprise while I was there). That would require very careful management to make sure that neither of the reactors are unintentionally scrammed while at sea, especially while in battle. No US warship has come under hostile fire while operating at sea since WWII, so we still don't really know how the nuclear carriers will perform in combat, and given the nature of the world today, we may never be in a position to find out. I don't look forward to one of those ships being sunk and spilling its nuclear fuel all over the bottom of the ocean.

I think the Enterprise reactors were BWR, but I'm not sure. My only clue is that the steam the reactors generated was only about 550 degrees--the ship had no superheaters and used saturated steam instead--an outdated propulsion technology. Oil-fired combat ships have for years had superheaters that generate operate on 1300-degree steam, at much greater efficiency and responsiveness than using saturated steam would allow. I often wondered about this but didn't know enough about reactor technology at the time to ask the proper questions. Newer reactors may have superheating capability, but I'm not sure. I doubt that superheating is all that useful for a land-based power plant since they usually operate either at full power or off, but a ship's reactor has to be capable of providing rapid response to changing bell signals from the bridge, and superheating may be a worthwhile capability for them to have, but, as I said, I don't know if that capability is available to them, even today. In any event it seems logical that a PWR would be more capable of supporting a superheating system than a BWR, hence my assumption.

As to getting in and out of Pearl Harbor. I was aboard Enterprise when her condenser intakes got clogged with mud as she was getting underway. It was a bit embarrassing, but caused only an ignominious tow the 200 yards from the "sticking point" back to the pier, and a several-hour delay in sailing. We cleaned the pipes, waited for high tide and we were on our way. I suspect that following that incident the harbor was dredged to a few feet deeper. After all, those hogs displace around 100,000 tons and draw upwards of 36 feet when loaded. Not as much as a supertanker, but those guys never even come into port. They off-load at pumping stations often several miles out to sea.

I'd be interested in hearing details on when "the Big E" was reduced to a single reactor.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org