Re: [Phys-l] Q of microwave oven "cavity"

On 4/28/2011 10:52 AM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

I thought (hoped) one could use a bunch of magnetrons to make a DIY linear accelerator.

Phase and frequency stability is marginal for the application. Moonbounce has been done this way.

(iii) The rise time of the apparatus is basically limited by the microwave cavity itself: Q/lTFo 10 nsec at Fo = 35 GHz with Q 700. ...

How do they "get" this?
If I understand the question: consider the output amplitude rising 1/Q per cycle to get in the ball park?

Brian W