Re: [Phys-l] Q from amplitude width?

On 2011, Apr 26, , at 09:49, brian whatcott wrote:

This then provides a figure for the actual power required to maintain
that amplitude for that bob weight.

If the losses were all in the aero drag, then the maintaining power
ought to be rather similar for various masses.

It's the water drag, but only a "detail".

This is not the case
for your numbers.

You mean the C values in the fit equation? Yes, but my app. is very crude. I'm more surprised they vary so little! ~ 9.4, 8.4, and 6.1

Furthermore, the plot of Q(mass) is "too" good! The water drag masks the increased support and suspension loss, which is very evident without the "artificial" water drag.

One could assign this increased power requirement at
increased mass to increased aero drag (with mass) and/or increased
suspension loss (with mass)

The increase from 331gm to 976 is only 11%, so I suspect it's apparatus and bc technique (patience)** failure, not increased drag, suspension and support loss. [Is the % difference between the average a better measure?]

Brian W
_

Evidently, I changed the URL? after posting it. Here the correct one, I pray.

http://www.cleyet.org/Pendula,%20Horological%20and%20Otherwise/Pendulum%20response%20to%20E-M%20harmonic%20drive%20as%20a%20function%20of%20bob%20mass/Pendulum%20response%20to%20E-M%20harmonic%20drive.tiff

** My new Pasco digital function generator-amplifier will require less patience. Its display agrees rather well w/ my TCXO HP counter, also. (Thanks to RAFT)

bc appreciates JD and BW's comments.

The almost complete post: