Re: [Phys-l] Greenhouse effect / 2nd law

> I have been involved in a few discussions of global warming. There
seems to be a school of thought that has concluded that second law
precludes the greenhouse effect. They are convinced that IR cannot
go from a cold object to a hot object.

By way of comparison, this seems reminiscent of the argument that the 2nd law precludes life/evolution: "2nd law says disorder must increase; life/evolution is order; hence there can be no life/evolution." This is still a cornerstone for at least some creationists. You might point this out as an example of how the 2nd law can be misinterpreted, esp in terms of defining disorder (I'm def in the camp that order/disorder should be barred from the discussion), or in terms of confusing energy with entropy, not to mention any concept of "flow."

> For example, here is one incarnation ...

> "Over and over again the interpretation goes something like thisŠ..
> A hot object transfers heat to a colder surface for example 100J.
The colder surface transfer heat to the warmer surface say 99J.
> This they say satisfies the second law of thermodynamics.
Their reasoning is that the NET HEAT is from hot to cold.
> I hope by now everyone who has paid attention knows that this is nonsense."

I'm struggling to understand the scope of this argument as written. It sounds from the last line that the arguer is citing the argument as bogus? Or is it /you/ referring to the argument and then saying "this is nonsense." ? Who is arguing what?

I don't see why you couldn't find a way to arrange this scenario. I prefer to think of it in terms of power - so the hotter surface radiates 100W and the colder 99W, but it doesn't sound like equilibrium to me. What does the rest of the argument you cite entail - any notion of equilibrium at all, or what that implies or does not imply?

Stefan Jeglinski